Grilled Chicken & Corn Orecchiette
Preparation: 15 mins
Cooking: 30 mins
3 cobs corn, husks removed
60ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tbsp roughly chopped thyme, plus extra leaves, to serve
750ml (3 cups) chicken stock or water
80ml (1/3 cup) light cream
4 x 180g chicken breasts
500g orecchiette or other short pasta
160g fresh podded peas (400g unpodded)
20g (1/4 cup) finely grated parmesan, plus extra, shaved, to serve
- To make corn sauce, holding each cob upright on a wok surface, cut kernels away from cobs. Heat 1 ½ tbsp oil in a heavy-based, non-stick saucepan. Add onion and garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 mins or until onion is soft. Add thyme, stock, cream and two-thirds of the corn, then bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 20 mins or until corn is soft.
- Transfer mixture to a blender (take care as mixture with steam). Blend to a puree. Strain through a fine sieve into a bowl, pressing solids with the back of a metal spoon to extract liquid. Discard solids. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with foil and keep warm until needed.
- Preheat a chargrill pan or barbecue over medium-high heat. Meanwhile, place chicken and remaining 1 ½ tbsp oil in a large bowl, season, then toss well to combine. Cook chicken for 5 mins each side or until charred and cooked through. Rest for 5 mins, then slice.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a saucepan of boiling salted water for 9 mins. Add peas and remaining corn, and cook for a further 3 mins or until corn and peas are just tender and pasta is al dente. Drain, then transfer to a bowl. Reserve saucepan.
- Transfer corn sauce to reserved saucepan and return to medium heat. Add pasta mixture, chicken and parmesan. Cook, stirring, for 3 mins or until warmed through. Divide pasta among bowls. Scatter with extra shaved parmesan and thyme leaves to serve.